Gary Police Department
- Acquired an over 2-million-dollar investment directed towards the modernization of the police department’s technology, safety equipment, vehicle fleet, and pillar technology.
- A buildout of the first in the region, GPD’s real-time crime center. The center utilizes technology that expands our ability with cameras, expanding the license plate readers program and other technologies.
- Partnership with the State of Indiana through the Indiana State Police for technical support.
Gary Fire Department
- New rescue Squad
- Acquisition of turn out gear
- The hiring of 12 new firefighters
- Began the process to place liens on the property of owners who do not keep up their property.
- Successfully prosecuted hundreds of ordinance violations in city court.
- Developed a self-help manual to empower constituents.
- The bucket (tree) truck has been in service for a week. We have taken a total of 15 trees down across the City to date.
- Our 311 requests for debris clearing, potholes, and lawn/brush cutting are current to this year. We started with requests as far back as 2019.
- The 2022 Community Crossings City-wide Street Paving project is currently underway.
- GSD has saved nearly $400,000 in NIPSCO electric costs in 2022 and over $1,000,000 altogether since the new aeration system put in service in 2021
- Code enforcement has been working with constituents to get cases resolved before proceeding to go to court, this decreases excessive court calls.
- Ensured permits for jobs that are complete and also going to businesses, such as gas stations, to ensure they are compliant.
- $1.75 million rehabilitation of fire station for conversion to warming/cooling center.
- $900,000 + in street paving work.
- New Homebuyer Assistance Program for the home buyers with incomes up to $105,700
- Designed and implemented a comprehensive, fully integrated outdoor cleanup & Sustainability plan for the City of Gary (all in Gary) that brings together city departments, volunteer groups, businesses, faith & academic centers for citywide cleanup events; Executed two citywide cleanups in 2022.
- Created department brochure outlining real-time programs & services.
- Created a strategic response framework among city departments for unaddressed constituent requests.
- Successfully completed Bank Reconciliations from 2018 to 2021.
- Received, tracked, and monitored all $80.2 million American Rescue Plan Act dollars according to the US. Department of treasury guidelines.
- Increased Departmental staff’s ability to professionally interact with external stakeholders through Customer Service Training mandates.
- Completed the 2020 City of Gary Audit.
- THRIVE Gary, a youth violence prevention program partnered with multiple city departments and assisted with the implementation of the Summer Youth Employment Program/Mayor’s Leadership Academy.
- Partnered with Gary Police Department and launched the city’s new surveillance initiative Operation Safe Zone. This public/private community effort is centered on providing real-time surveillance connections with GPD to deter and reduce criminal offenses. Visit www.connectgary.org for more info.
- The office actively contributed to the Gary Police Reform Commission formed by Mayor Prince in June 2020. The commission’s recommendation to begin a Mental Health Crisis Response Team was a driving force in the administration’s $1.5 million-dollar allocation.
- Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), The program offers households that qualify discounts of up to $30 a month on high-speed internet in their home.
- Broadband Ready Community certification (BBRC), lets the telecommunication industry know that the Gary community has taken steps to reduce barriers to broadband infrastructure investment.
- GARY, IN is a CENTER FOR DIGITAL GOVERNMENT (CDG) GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE PROJECT AWARDED winner! We submitted our Gary Online project and was selected by CDG in the City category for Project Experience Awards.
Health & Human Services
- In the midst of the COVID pandemic, the Health Department has continued to provide critical and essential services to the citizens of Gary as well as Northwest Indiana.
- Outreach activities have increased this year. Health Department staff have participated in events throughout the City of Gary such as the Health Fair Jamboree on the east parking lot, and providing education and COVID testing and vaccines.
- In response to the recent Monkeypox epidemic, vaccines are available for those persons that qualify, at the Health Department.